Monday, January 25, 2010

#2

I received more helpful suggestions for my second piano piece. I'm not entirely sold on my harmonic material, I was mostly trying to organize a fragmented rhythmic approach into a cohesive structure. I think I achieved this, and it was said that this piece worked in its short length. That said, there are a few key musical events that could have went on slightly longer to further emphasize what I was trying to do with them:

The first page jumps between 2 ideas, and each idea is often displayed in a slightly altered manner, such as having 1 less beat or 1 more beat in the measure. Other than slight rhythmic variations, the only other changes are in register. Some felt this should be expanded in length a little bit, and in doing so I could add some more interesting notes, since I felt the harmony here got a bit stale after a while.
Later in the piece there is a more open-sounding section, which could easily be expanded some more and would make more sense if it were slightly longer, especially if the first section is expanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment