Wednesday, February 3, 2010

#3

I have an idea started for my third piece, and Andrew Staniland + class helped me with some great suggestions of how to finish it. It is a very driving piece, mostly straight 16th notes with lots of open sounding intervals/sustain pedal, meant to be very washy at times, but also very rhythmic. I am trying to keep the driving feel throughout, but changing the rhythmic emphasis as harmonic changes occur so as to keep it interesting.

Some suggestions: m.4 has an accompanimental figure of simply 5ths and 8ves, with a pretty melody on top.... taking those melody notes and fitting them into the accompaniment gives the part a lot more color! something to keep in mind if similar figures occur
- a lot of 3+3+3+3+3+3+4 and such rhythms occur (in 4/4), I could come up with some sort of numerical system to decide the rhythms OR the intervals for me
- the idea of a "blur" at some point in the piece, where so many notes are played very fast and loud, with the sustain pedal all the way down (maybe moving up a chromatic scale), and then slowly lifting off the pedal to reveal the original theme in a new key area. I think this will sound great in the context of what I have so far!

As with most of my pieces, I'm going to keep the rhythmic element a very key component in the compositional process... I now have lots of ideas on how to do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment