Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blog #1

Chord progression was performed and critiqued today. The growth in tension seemed to be received by listeners as gradual, though I was told the decrease in tension at the end was very miniscule. I am happy with the last few chords being where they are, I think their qualities could end a piece very effectively.. so perhaps through register or voicing changes I can make them seem less tense. The overall tension level was said to be quite high (partially due to my rock n' roll piano technique), so in order to make the pieces not seem TOO crunchy, I think I will try to do a lot with the few chords that are undoubtedly "pleasant" sounding.

1 comment:

  1. Try playing with the voicings of your tense chords as a way of decreasing the tension. It's amazing the change you can bring about by spacing certain intervals and inverting things. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to hearing your first piece.

    ReplyDelete