Tuesday, October 20, 2009

III

This week I played a revised version of my third character piece. I would describe the piece as frantic.. noodly.. driving.. and quite silly at times. It makes me laugh, so I think that's a good thing.

It was mentioned before that the piece worked as a short work, but could stand to be even twice as long. I added some repeats/variations, and extended some sections, and it definitely works even better now. It is still less than two minutes so it doesn't lose the concise quality I was going for.

There is a repetative ascending 4-note figure that occurs a lot throughout the piece. It is used as an accompanying figure and also as a transitional figure, though in a couple of transitions it sounded kind of awkward and I knew it was also a bit tricky to get to the next part technically. Simon suggested something that I think should have been obvious to me, and that was to extend the 4 notes to keep ascending and take off at some point, rather than repeating. I immediately incorporated this idea, and the transition now sounds better, and runs very smoothly into the next section when it comes to the piano fingering (thanks, Simon!).

There was another section that is a direct repeat but modulated down a perfect fourth.. I thought this may have been enough variation, but a comment was made that it should be even more different.. I agree, and there are definitely some nuances I can spice up within the section to achieve this.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, you're welcome! Looking forward to hearing the finished products!

    ReplyDelete