Tuesday, November 10, 2009

wonky waltz

For my composition that incorporates a musical cliché, I decided to use a i-V progression in a waltz feel as my cliché. My goal was to make it obnoxious and silly within the familiar i-V territory, while still being clever and creative both harmonically and rhythmically so that it doesn't become too cliché. As of now I have an introduction that flows and builds quite nicely into the A section of the piece, and a couple of short ideas of where to go next. Although I incorporate some unexpected harmonies in my first few ideas (I+, V+, use of a whole-tone scale), I was looking for ways to go further away from the cliché as the piece went on. Some suggestions last class helped a great deal in this regard.
Rhythmically, some ideas presented to me were: use of hemiola, dropping/adding beats (11/16 as opposed to 3/4, for example). I think these will be essential in taking the music to new, interesting territory. The constricted rhythmic feel of a waltz can get old pretty fast, so I imagined opening up in the next section... perhaps playing around with longer chord progressions as opposed to just alternating between 2 chords, or using a more sustain-heavy texture to get away from the staccato I presented in the early material... basically just getting into less familiar and cliché material, and different rhythmic approaches will undoubtedly help me achieve this more effectively.

Instrumentation is also something I need to reconsider.. piano+oboe+violin could create some balance problems, so I'm thinking about going either with a piano trio, or maybe piano+2 woodwinds, or piano+2 brass, or piano+woodwind+brass... I CAN'T DECIDE

No comments:

Post a Comment