Monday, November 23, 2009

Clavé

So, a lot has happened since my last blog. I spent countless hours toying around with new areas for my wonky waltz to go, only to get extremely frustrated and scrap the whole thing. I definitely liked some of what I had going with it, but the obnoxious/silly vibe was exhausting my patience. I felt like I was falling into a lot of things I always do compositionally, and I decided I wanted to push myself in a different direction.

I am very rhythmic-minded, in that I am stimulated by rhymically-driven music, and my writing is usually driven by rhythm. With this I decided to take the typical Clave rhythm and use is as the basis for my cliché piece. Since it is often heard amongst several percussive instruments playing energetic latin-based music, I thought it would be interesting to incorporate it into a softer and more subdued piece of music. What has evolved so far is a simple, pleasant piece of music that I find very easy to digest. It is a bit more repetative than I would like at this point (one of the things I always fall into), but I'm happy with the overall scope of what it seems to be settling into. The melodic lines and rhythmic interplay between piano, violin, cello, and a variety of percussion instruments sounds great to me through the MIDI playback.. let's hope it carries over to THE REAL WORLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

No comments:

Post a Comment